Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Stage II - Done!

Nipples and revisions for symmetry and shape usually happen during Stage II reconstruction, but we decided in the operating room that no revisions were really necessary. Dr. Levine did the nipples in about an hour under twighlight anesthesia (somewhere between being fully-awake/numb and completely asleep), gauzed me up and sent me on my way. There wasn't much pain at all (only two extra-strength Tylenol in four days) and my mobility was fine. Trouble was the bandages - big and kinda bulky, which made it tough to get into a bra.

I couldn't shower or take off the gauze for two days, which was torture because I REALLY wanted to peek. And finally, when everything came off, I couldn't get over how LARGE the new nips were. FREAKISHLY large was how I described them. I know they are made so large because they will shrink, but my goodness! The breast looked to be about 60% nipple! Part of it might have been that it had been so long since I'd had nipples (three years), too. Sigh...

So, so far, so good. Aereola tattoos are what Stage III is all about. Maybe I'll get new aereolas for my birthday in January...

No comments: