Sunday, September 13, 2009

One of Those Days

Felt totally off kilter today and couldn't figure out why until I looked at the calendar and noticed the date. September 13, 2004 was the day I found the lump in my right breast that changed everything. The surgery wasn't until about two weeks later and the "So sorry, it's cancer" results weren't given until October 4 (my official "cancerversary"), but today is the anniversary of my knowing that something just wasn't right.

I'd had lumps before - nine biopsies prior to this one, in fact - so I knew what was in front of me. But somewhere deep, I knew that this time the road was going to be different somehow. How right I was...

This effin' disease has taken so much from me it isn't even funny. In addition to my mom who passed away from brain mets in 1992, it has taken my breasts, my self-confidence and a tiny bit away from the idea that I will live to a ripe old age. It's always, always there, even when I think I'm done with it - evident by the fact that today's date sent me into a freaking tailspin...

Have I said how much I hate breast cancer today?

2 comments:

ldk said...

I love you Felicia...today was a rough day. Tomorrow will be better.

-Lisa K.

Felicia said...

Cancer so effin' sucks. It truly does...

I love you too, darlin' - and you made me feel a little bit better. Thanks for that :-)